As opposed to the dry heat of Napa, Pinot noir grapes thrive in the cooler, coastal weather of the Sonoma Coast and Russian River Valley, with the exception of the Carneros region in the south. Luckily, many Calistoga wineries purchase Pinot noir grapes from Sonoma and vineyards further afield, so you can still taste this light, refreshing red wine on your Napa Valley visit!
- Amici Cellars: This lovely boutique winery is tucked away on Old Lawley Toll Road just outside of downtown Calistoga. Its pinot noir and reserve pinot noir are sourced from the Russian River Valley.
- August Briggs Winery: Located in downtown Calistoga with a beautiful, newly renovated wine terrace, August Briggs Winery is known for a wide selection of Sonoma Coast, Russian River Valley and even Napa County pinot noirs, as well as unusual varietals such as pinot blanc and pinot meunier.
- Castello di Amorosa: Modeled after a 13th-century Tuscan castle, Castello di Amorosa (“Castle of Love”) offers a fun tour, including a stop in the dungeon and torture chamber, and offers a pinot noir sourced from an estate vineyard in Russian River Valley and other North Coast regions.
- Clos Pegase Winery: This architectural icon features a sweeping view of Mt. Saint Helena, a spectacular wine cave and a lovely Carneros pinot noir.
- Laura Michael Wines: Best known for its estate zinfandel, Laura Michael Wines has recently branched out with a new release of pinot noir from the Russian River.
- Lawer Estates: Lawer Estates is a family-owned, limited production winery known for sustainably grown, terroir driven wines. This Pinot Noir is made from grapes sourced from Betsy’s Vineyard in Knights Valley, named after owner Betsy Lawer.
- Picayune Cellars & Mercantile: In addition to a Sonoma Coast pinot noir, this tasting room resides just behind the Calistoga Depot and features a comfortable outdoor patio and excellent shopping.
- Rivers-Marie: Single variety wines made to reflect the vineyard & vintage from which they came. Owned by Thomas Rivers Brown & Genevieve Marie Welsh, the Rivers-Marie pinot noir hails from the Sonoma Coast.
- Sterling Vineyards: Ascend the aerial tram to this winery blessed with one of the best views in the Napa Valley. You’ll enjoy a self-guided tour, stunning vistas and pinot noirs from both Russian River and Carneros. (Sterling is temporarily closed until 2023)
- Tamber Bey Vineyards: This winery on Tubbs Lane is where you’ll revel in panoramic views of northern Calistoga, including Mt. Saint Helena and the Palisades, and a view of the owners’ endurance horses stabled on the property. You can also enjoy a great pinot noir from the Petaluma Gap region of the Sonoma Coast!
- Tom Eddy Winery: This unique winery straddles the Napa-Sonoma county line, with a picnic bench that sits directly on the border! Ironically, you can taste a Mendocino pinot noir here while enjoying the view from their wine cave.
- Twomey Cellars: The Calistoga Twomey tasting room is a classic Wine Country experience with white clapboard buildings and a delicious selection of pinot noirs from Russian River, Anderson Valley and as far away as Monterey.
Bonus! Many wineries experiment with new and different varietals every year, so with each new vintage comes new producers of pinot noir. Here are a few more to tempt your palate:
- Davis Estates: Luxury blends seamlessly with the laid back, rustic vibe at Davis Estates, where you’ll find both a landmark windmill and an exclusive tasting room for VIP wine club members – and the door may only be unlocked via your hand print!
- Joseph Cellars: Cool off during the heat of Calistoga summer with a classic and cool wine cave tour and tasting while touring the winery’s in-house crush facility.
- Olabisi Wines: The downtown tasting room of Olabisi Wines offers a comfortable, stylish atmosphere to cozy up by the fireplace and sip on delicious pinot noirs.