With Cinco de Mayo right around the corner and summer on the horizon, you might be beginning to crave the spicy, salty, diverse flavors of Mexico. Whether it’s fresh avocados, spicy jalapenos, or sour limes that have sparked your craving, Calistoga has just the meal to satisfy your taste buds. At each of these restaurants, you’ll find authentic Mexican cuisine or creative cultural fusion dishes.
- Pacifico Restaurante Mexicano: For authentic Mexican cuisine and margaritas, you’ll want to visit Pacifico. Every dish on the menu is delicious, from the enchiladas to the tamales to the carnitas. For something a little different, try the steak flautas or tacos dorados (deep-fried tacos!) On Friday nights, Pacifico even features a live mariachi band.
- Cafe Sarafornia: A breakfast staple, Cafe Sarafornia is one of the last true diners in the Napa Valley. Sit down to a hearty serving of huevos rancheros or their Mexican omelette to start the day off with a kick.
- Cal Mart: For an easy grab-and-go lunch, stop by the Cal Mart Deli for enchiladas, breakfast burritos and other Mexican staples.
- Johnny’s Bar & Restaurant: The Tacos Del Dia (Tacos of the Day) at Johnny’s are a local favorite. These tacos are chef’s choice every day and they are always spicy and delicious.
- Palisades Deli: The perfect spot to pick up picnic supplies, Palisades Deli stocks more than fresh, housemade sandwiches. You’ll find a great selection of tacos, burritos, empanadas and enchiladas here. After you’ve selected your picnic spread, head on over to the Old Faithful Geyser to enjoy lunch in the covered cabanas and watch the geyser erupt!
- Solbar: Perhaps you don’t expect a restaurant that has received a Michelin star eight years in a row to serve the quintessential fish taco, but here in Calistoga, we like to keep you on your toes! This high-end restaurant is known for its laid-back atmosphere. The fish tacos at Solbar are absolutely legendary and a must-try for any Mexican food lover.
- Bella Bakery: Though the selection of fresh pastries and baked goods changes daily at Bella Bakery, churros and conchas make a regular appearance at this downtown spot. On special occasions such as Cinco de Mayo, Bella Bakery often also offers specialty items like dulce de leche cake.
- Sam’s Social Club: Here’s a unique one for you: these mouthwatering churros, served over dulce de leche ice cream, are made with Candy Cap mushrooms! The sweet, maple-y mushrooms are the perfect, if unusual, complement to the traditional cinnamon-sugar churro flavors. (Pictured above.)
- Susie’s Bar: It wouldn’t be a night in Calistoga if it didn’t end with margaritas at Susie’s! This downtown dive bar is a locals’ hangout and they’re serving up fun every night until 2:00 am.