Situated in Calistoga at the northern end of the Napa Valley, Indian Springs Calistoga is California’s oldest continuously operated pool and spa facility. It unfolds over 17 acres of hills and ponds, olive and palm trees, and roses and lavender.
The property is blessed with rare, substantial natural resources, which have inspired a long tradition of healing and renewal. Four thermal geysers produce rich mineral water, and a deposit of pure volcanic ash also runs through the property. The waters supply the mineral pool and steam rooms, and combined with the ash, create the special mud for the famous mud baths.
People have long recognized the restorative powers of this land. The Wappo Indians settled here 8,000 years ago, bathing in the warm waters. The Spanish followed, naming the grounds “Agua Caliente.” Notable Californian Sam Brannan was an early promoter of the area and, in 1861, created the original spa, mud baths, and water plunge (now the Olympic-sized mineral pool).