Tank Garage Winery has done it again with this awesome recipe for Honey Applewood Smoked Chicken Drumsticks. They start by marinating chicken drumsticks in a spiced honey glaze and slow smoke the meat over charcoal and green applewood. The result? A seriously hedonistic pairing – smokey, a little spicy and dripping with juicy goodness, and paired with the Paso Kink Red Wine? Divine!
• 1/2 Cup Green Onion, thinly sliced
• 2 Tbs Garlic, coursely chopped
• 1 Cup Cilantro, chopped
• 1/2 Jalepeño, deseeded and minced
• Juice from two limes
• 1/2 Cup Honey
• 1 Tbs Creole Spice (we used Tony Cachere’s)
• 1 Tbs Ground Peppercorns (we used a mix of black, white, green and pink peppercorns)
• 1 Tbs Salt (course ground/Kosher. If using table salt, reduce to 1 tsp)
• 2 Tbs Olive Oil
• 16 Chicken Drumsticks
• Green Applewood, cut into 6″ pieces
• Charcoal & Charcoal Grill
Combine green onion, garlic, jalepeño, cilantro, lime juice, olive oil and spices to a bowl and mix to combine.
Place chicken in glass baking tray or bag and pour marinade over meat. Cover and refrigerate 2-3 hours.
Prepare for grilling by preheating your charcoal about 45 minutes before removing the chicken from the marinade. Once the charcoal is ready for cooking, move coals to one half of the grill (see photo for reference) and place the chicken opposite of the coals. The drumsticks should be touching, but not stacked on top of each other. Pour any remaining marinade over the chicken and cover with the vent holes approximately 1/4 of the way open.
After about ten minutes of cooking, add green applewood pieces to the top of the coals. Turn chicken drumsticks and cover again. Check chicken every ten minutes until internal temperature reaches 165º. Serve & enjoy with Tank Garage’s Paso Kink Red Wine.
*Makes 16 drumsticks.