Embrace Calistoga, the 5-room European style luxury inn built in 1873, oozes old world charm paired with new world hospitality. Owned and run by “the boys” Brent Riedberger and Chris Johansen, a stay at the inn always includes something delicious they’ve whipped up in the kitchen, including these divine Lemon Blueberry Scones with a Lemon Cream Glaze that recently appeared on the breakfast table.
Lemon Blueberry Scones with a Lemon Cream Glaze by Embrace Calistoga
Basic Cream Scone Recipe
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 TBS baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups cold heavy cream
- Add 1 cup of dried blueberries and the zest of 2 lemons
- Add 1 cup of mini chocolate chips and the zest of 2 oranges
- Add 1/2 cup diced ham, 1/2 cup grated cheese and a handful of chives
- Let your imagination run wild!
- Sift all of the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl
- Make a well and add cream and mix first with a fork and the with your hands until evenly moistened
- Lightly dust your counter (we dust a large sheet of parchment paper) and scoop the dough out of the bowl
- Lightly dust a rolling pin and the top of the dough and roll out to 1/2 to 3/4 inches thick.
- Using a biscuit cutter in whatever shape you want, cut out scones. and set onto a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Gather the scrapes and re-roll and re-cut until you use up all of the dough.
- Here’s the secret…freeze the scones at least 2 hours or overnight. When you are ready to bake, preheat the oven at 350F. Take scones out of the freezer and let them sit for 10 minutes and then brush with an egg wash
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until lightly golden. Make a glaze using powdered sugar and cream mixture flavored to whatever you want to go with the scone!