It’s summertime and in Calistoga the livin’ is easy… but what may not be so easy is selecting a few from a great amount of fabulous summertime wine options! Summer sips bring forth unique flavors for several Calistoga whites and rosés, proving Calistoga can hold its own among some of the famous big reds of the Napa Valley. With variety in mind, Calistoga rosés are crafted with grapes from cabernet sauvignon to grenache to zinfandel, and methods include limited skin maceration, direct pressing, saignée (“bleeding”), and blending.
Once you’ve selected a pink that piques your palate, you’ll want to explore the whites of sauvignon blanc, a most refreshing white wine varietal. Why not mix it up with some unusual white wine varietals this summer and add an unexpected splash of albariño or chenin blanc to your wine list?
Whether you’re enjoying a glass on the outdoor patio at one of Calistoga’s restaurants, on the porch at a charming inn like The Bungalows at Calistoga, or on your own front porch at home, here are 8 Calistoga wines perfect for summertime porch sippin’.
- Chateau Montelena, Riesling: You may not be aware that the famous Chateau Montelena, known for its chardonnay, produces a Riesling, let alone one as subtly balanced as the one they offer at their winery. Those who enjoy sweeter wines will love this varietal, but Calistoga’s Rieslings are sublime enough to appeal to any palate and preference.
- Envy Wines, Chenin Blanc: Originally grown in the Loire Valley in France, chenin blanc is available at Envy Wines, which presents its version as “an homage to Old Napa Valley”. Take a sip of this Calistoga wine and relax in simple, summer bliss.
- Laura Michael Wines, Rosé: The dry rosé at Laura Michael Wines, known as Michael’s Muse, is made with estate zinfandel. This rosé is perfect for sipping on the winery’s porch or your own!
- Madrigal Family Winery, Sauvignon Blanc: Sauvignon blanc is perhaps the quintessential summertime wine. The “SB”, (as the varietal is referred to by locals and wine industry veterans), at Madrigal Family Winery is 100% estate grown and emits 100% good vibes.
- Picayune Cellars & Mercantile, Albariño: Picayune Cellars is one of very few Napa Valley wineries to produce this unusual Spanish white wine that pairs perfectly with spicy dishes and seafood. Picayune Cellars albariño is a must this summer, especially since it’s an award-winning label.
- Romeo Vineyards & Cellars, Rosé: Romeo Vineyards has a quaint tasting room in an historic carriage house in downtown Calistoga. The winery’s rosé is made from petit verdot and the 2017 vintage was named a Double Gold Winner in the 2018 American Fine Wine Rosé Competition.
- The GRADE Cellars, SEA-FOG Sauvignon Blanc: The sauvignon blanc produced by The GRADE Cellars is a lovely wine deemed “fresh & lively” by wine critic, Robert Parker.
- von Strasser & Lava Vine Winery, Grüner Veltliner: Von Strasser was the first winery in California to grow and produce this uncommon Austrian grape. Summertime is the perfect time to sip this dry white wine and cool off after a long day.