Napa Valley is renowned for romance, and at the crown of the Valley, Calistoga is perhaps the pinnacle of quixotic bliss. Robert Louis Stevenson and his bride, Fanny, spent their honeymoon here in the late 1800s. Perhaps they started a trend; hundreds of couples are married each year at stunning venues in Calistoga, such as Calistoga Ranch, an Auberge Resort, Solage, an Auberge Resort, Triple S Ranch and Hans Fahden Winery.
If you’re spending a romantic foray in Calistoga, please know that wedded bliss begins here. Consider proposing to your sweetheart at one of these spots:
- In a hot air balloon: Propose while soaring over vineyards on a private flight with Calistoga Balloons.
- On top of the world: If you’re an adventurous pair, hike the Palisades in Robert Louis Stevenson State Park and propose with a spectacular view of Calistoga’s unique geology.
- In the vineyards: Bennett Lane Winery offers a proposal package that includes a wine tasting and tour, photographer, chocolates and flowers.
- Over a decadent meal: Restaurants such as Evangeline and Lovina offer romantic corner spots to indulge in a decadent meal where “the question” is best popped over dessert.
- In an actual castle: Make your honey feel like a prince or princess and propose on the stone walkways of Castello di Amorosa. This 13th-century Tuscan replica overlooks the Napa Valley.
- With a glass of bubbly in hand: Get down on one knee in the mossy, romantic caves of Schramsberg Vineyards, famous for their sparkling wines.
- By the fire: There are numerous flickering fireplaces for a cozy cuddle in Calistoga, including the outdoor fire pits at Calistoga Spa Hot Springs, Sam’s Social Club and Solbar, as well as indoor locations like Olabisi Wines.
- After a relaxing couple’s spa treatment: Couple’s treatments are available at a number of Calistoga’s famous spas, including mud baths and massages at Baths at Roman Spa. Hydrotherapy baths await at Mount View Hotel & Spa, and a”Soul to Soul” experience is available at Spa Solage, where you’ll learn to give your partner a relaxing and restorative massage at home.
- Lounging in your hotel room: Take a private moment just for the two of you at a romantic B&B like The Francis House or Brannan Cottage Inn.
- Channel your inner literary hero or heroine: Pronounce your best Shakespeare and propose at the most romantically-named winery in Calistoga: Romeo Vineyards & Cellars.
While planning how best to share your feelings, you’ll want to plan the rest of your trip to Calistoga with a little help from our Romantic Getaway Itinerary, (and perhaps you’ll even return again for the wedding!)